Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Nomi Break

This is one of the most beautiful and moving performances I have ever seen. Done for German TV in front of hometown fans - this was his last ever performance, as he would die a few months later from AIDS.

Powerful, especially when you know the backstory of the number he is performing in English (The Cold Song) - follow along as you play it, the lyrics are below:


Cold Song = What power art thou [Cold Genius] -- Henry Purcell 1689/1691: King Arthur, The British Worthy -- 3rd act

lyrics

"What power art thou, who from below
Hast made me rise unwillingly and slow
From beds of everlasting snow
See'st thou not how stiff and wondrous old,
Far unfit to bear the bitter cold,
I can scarcely move or draw my breath
Let me, let me freeze again
to death..."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Robert, I loved it. I had no idea until this moment that Klaus died of aids. So sad.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for posting this. I studied early music in college (it was my minor) so Purcell sung by countertenors was always on the menu. I'm not exactly sure how Klaus Nomi escaped my radar during his heyday, but I'm thankful for being introduced to him, albeit so late in the game.