Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The German Invasion

I found this picture and it reminded me of a wonderful night in the early 1980s, when I was running back and forth between Philly and NYC to see shows and keep busy. I went with my friend Otmar to Danceteria - just because I was in the City and that's what one did. I had no idea what to expect that night - since every night at Danceteria was an experience. You didn't go JUST to see a band or such. You just went because you knew that's where you belonged.

So we just went and two hours later - BAM! We were watching a live performance from the legendary Nina Hagen. What a stage presence and so hypnotic.

At this point in time, with artists like Nina, Klaus Nomi, Falco, Peter Schilling, Trio and several others - there was this German invasion of art and talent in the scene. Some referred to it as Neue Deutsche Welle (New German Wave, often abbreviated NDW) sort of a genre of German music born from the punk and new wave scene of the late 70s. It was odd since it brought raw emotion into the mix at the same time sucking all surface emotions from the performances.


Klaus was very robotic on stage - Nina, albeit a bit more in your face, but they still had a similar quality. You were sucked into their vortex, but not because they were emotionally opening up to you. In fact, to me it was more because they were emotionally disconnecting from you. You want what you don't have, I guess.

So, here she is, cira 1982 or so... Miss Nina Hagen.

No comments: